Background

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A story

Yesterday Lilah was being particularly clingy.  As in if I put her down, she wailed and when I picked her up, she was all smiles.  I would be happy to just hold her all day (and I usually do), but I was trying to do laundry and it was getting ridiculous.  Plus Ethie had a bad day at school, which means no TV or computer, so he was bored too.  Finally, I suggested that Ethie read Lilah a book.  He's been very helpful with her lately and loves to make her smile or give her toys.  Sweetness!

So I got a few books out for Ethie and he layed down by Lilah on the bed and started reading to her.  He knows lots of sight words that we've practiced, so I always let him read those words when we read together.  He's gotten good at sounding out words too.  So I was listening to him read a book we hadn't read before and pretty soon, I realized that he was reading all the words!  My little boy can read!  It was a fairly simple book, but he was figuring out the words he didn't know, without my help.  

I was so proud of him and he got very excited and read five more books to Lilah.  It was so cute and they were both loving it!  Yay for reading!!!   

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lisa,

    What a wonderful, disclosing, and wise post from the frontier of parenting. What marvelous work you are doing to nurture kindness and sweetness in your children's hearts. Yay for reading! Yay for love! Yay for that last picture, which is nothing short of sacred.

    Thank you for sharing your lives with us so generously and well!

    Dad and Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! And that is a great book too!

    ReplyDelete