Background

Monday, May 7, 2012

Making it

Wow, it's been almost a month since I posted last!  It's been a pretty rough month for our family I guess.  James has been even busier than usual finishing up his thesis (he got it done!), interviewing for jobs, doing research, and getting everything finished up so he can graduate!  He defends his dissertation on May 11 and then has until the 18th to get everything all finished up.  Talk about stress!  I am so amazed by his hard work and how he balances all he has going on and spending time with us.  It has been a challenging few years, but I think we can finally see the light at the end!  Now we're just hoping the perfect job will find us :)

Ethie has been struggling a lot, mostly at school.  He has been suspended several times this past month, so I've done my best to find him lots of schoolwork to do at home, while making it as BORING as possible (so he will want to stay at school).  His biggest challenge is managing his angry feelings and finding ways to express them.  He has thrown chairs, broken computer screens, kicked and hit students, ran away from school, you name it pretty much.  We've practiced alternative solutions to his anger, and he knows what he needs to do, but he just can't seem to control those impulses when he's in the situation.  We've stuck with the gluten-free diet and we've been using ideas from the Total Transformation that are helping me feel more empowered to help him.  I get pretty discouraged and worn-out.  If we can just make it through the rest of the school-year, I think we'll be okay.  Next year, we'll be much more settled and stable, which I think will really help him.

We have managed to have some fun together, too!  A couple of Sundays ago, a new park opened near our house and they had a small-town fair.  We met Dad and Jeanette there and the kids loved it!
I do love those freckles































































About to ride a horse for the first time--just a little nervous!


What a natural!!



No comments:

Post a Comment