Background

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ethie right now

My last post was 2 weeks ago.  I'm so thankful to those who read this blog and care about my little family.  I got  the kindest comments about Ethie and parenting and it felt good to put it out there.
So in the last 3 weeks, we have been implementing a gluten-free/casein-free diet for Ethie-man.  Here is a blog James found that gives another mom's view on why it might be helpful to eliminate these things from his diet.  We've both done a lot of reading on it and talked to several parents who have had positive results with their own kids.  We had gotten to the point that medication was the last thing we could think of to help Ethie.  I was open to meds if it would help him, but I wanted to make sure we tried everything else first.  Plus I do believe that what we put in our bodies has an effect on how we feel, so I believe that this could help Ethie.

In the past 2 weeks, I have not gotten any calls from his teacher or asst. principal (which was a daily thing), he has not been in ISS or suspension (which was also frequent), he has gotten mostly greens and a few yellows (used to be reds every day), and mostly it has been so much more pleasant at home!  I used to almost dread him coming home from school cause I knew the fighting would start.  It seemed like anything I asked or said, his first response was "no."  If he was angry (frequently), his first response was to pick up the closest thing and throw it or say mean words (stupid, shut up, etc).  If he got  consequences, it just escalated.

I'm still not sure if it's the diet, but something has definitely changed in Ethie, and in our family.  When we started the diet, we explained to him that it might help him feel better in his body.  I have been so surprised at how willing he's been to adapt to new foods and eating differently from his friends.  It has been a learning curve for all of us as far as what he can eat and there have definitely been slip-ups, but it's been pretty easy to make him food and I actually feel like we're all eating better because I'm not buying processed stuff any more.  I like knowing what's in our food and feeling in control of what we're consuming.


I also told Ethie the new foods might help him feel better in his heart and maybe that expectation has made some difference for all of us.  But he just seems so much more peaceful lately.  He comes home from school and does his work and we talk and read together and laugh and I love it.  He went back to ask the neighborhood kids if he could be their friend again (after they told him to never come back) and he has played happily and successfully many times since!  Even when he's upset, he's able to say "ok" and move forward.

There are still times that he gets mad at me or makes Lilah cry or acts crazy and wound up, but I remind myself that he is still 6 and he is still a brother and he is still Ethie.  It's so much easier to enjoy him and really appreciate the fun, sweet kid he is when we're not fighting constantly.  He makes me laugh all the time and he is such a sweet brother and so smart and I am just so happy that he is feeling happier.  Whatever happens tomorrow, we are enjoying today.


1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I definitely know where you are coming from with this one and it take a lot of courage to change your child's diet to help with their behavior. I hope that the improvements continue and we should definitely talk sometime!

    ReplyDelete