Background

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A day

Yesterday was one of those days I like to pretend don't happen, but they do.  So I'm documenting it.

I took Lilah girl to get her 6-month pictures taken (a little late, I know) and she would not smile!  The little cutie just stared at the guy like he was nuts.  Fortunately, I love her not-smiling face too, so the pictures were still pretty good.  But really, she smiles all the time!  And of course, she was all smiles on the way out.

Ethie had a rough day at school which continued to home.  He struggles with his temper when things don't go his way.  He gets really upset (throwing things, kicking, screaming) and then just a few minutes later (in time-out), he says, "I shouldn't act that way," and apologizes.  He has such a sweetness to him and he knows what he needs to do.  I just wish I could help him find a way to express his anger without rage.  I've had my own struggles to control my temper and deal with anger, so I tell him, "I understand you're really angry.  That makes you really upset."  We punch pillows or "disagree appropriately" or take time-outs to cool off.  I want him to know that it's okay to feel things, but not okay to hurt people or stuff.  I know that his strong will is not going away, and it's my job to learn how to be the mother he needs.  It's apparent to me that my level of calm or anger is a huge factor in how Ethie manages his own.  He has helped me find ways to control my own feelings because I know how much he needs me to be a good example.  I feel such a huge responsibility to help him, but sometimes I just don't know how.

Lilah has brought a spirit of calm to our house.  Ethie is very gentle and affectionate with her and he just loves her!  But yesterday, for some reason, he decided it was more fun to tease her.  Every time I set Lilah down to do something, she'd be playing fine and then he'd do something to make her cry!  He took her toys, jumped up and scared her, stuck stickers all over her (she didn't really mind this part so it was a little funny),


































just to see what she would do.  This is normal brother behavior, right?  But it was driving me crazy!  And she just acted so hurt!!  I kept explaining to him that he's her older brother, she loves and admires him, he is teaching her by his example, he needs to help and protect her, etc., etc.  Usually he takes his role as older brother very seriously, so I'm not too worried. 

And they were back to being happy siblings by bedtime.  This video is my favorite and further proof that it's all worth it!




































3 comments:

  1. My, Lisa. We read this blog entry today through tears, tears mostly of gratitude and awareness of people who are trying to live life courageously and well. From our little place on the wall we hope that you can hear our shouts of encouragement: "Hang in there! Love is a work work doing!" May you feel accompanied and comforted, and may you find joy in the light. Ethie's little spirit will continue to respond to your love, you know.

    Dad and Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I found your blog!! You are a wonderful mom!! You bring me encouragement!!! I send my love! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great example to me!! I love the "disagreeing appropriately" practice- it's important for kids to know how to express themselves. He should draw pictures of how he feels too and then draw a "solution" or how he'd like things to be. Keep posting about sewing- I take all your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete