Background

Friday, January 21, 2011

Punch, punch, duck

We just signed Ethie up for martial arts.  I had kinda sworn that I would never do that because I hate violence and don't think it's a solution to anything.  However, I've had many people (friends, his teacher, his doctor) tell me that martial arts is great for helping kids with focus, self-discipline, following directions, respect for authority, etc.  Ethie has struggled a bit with those things in the past and even though he is doing much better lately (yay, Ethie!), I thought it would still be worth a try.  

And he loves it!  I guess I didn't know much about the martial arts, but it's not violent.  There is a lot of yelling, kicking, and punching going on, but it's so controlled and focused and personal.  I can see how it would help Ethie feel some control over his own little body and its actions.  And it's good exercise!   He was so into it and I could see how hard he was concentrating to get every move right.  
He even got the best effort award yesterday!  He was extremely proud and I was so happy for him!

3 comments:

  1. Ethie, we are sooooo PROUD of you! You look like a natural.
    Love,
    Jeanette and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! My Grandma, Rose Jenkins, pointed me to your blog. :)

    Martial Arts! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pictures and what a nice outlet for Ethie's energy and spark. I have a concern, however. He used to say, joking I hope, "Grandpa, I'm going to kick your butt!" and I'd hold out the targeted anatomy for him to take an ineffectual swing. I don't think I'm going to do that any more!

    Enjoy, Ethie, and LOTS of love,


    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete